Have you ever had a boba tea? This fun and unique drink has become incredibly popular in the last few years, with hundreds of flavor combinations to choose from. Our Vegan Strawberry Boba Tea is a healthy, dairy-free and lower sugar version of traditional boba teas that are often made with condensed milk and added sugar. Even better, our version is made with our Original Vegan Collagen Boost Creamer, which is full of plant botanicals to boost your body’s natural collagen production and support healthy hair, skin, and nails!*
What is boba?
If you haven’t tried boba tea before, you’re probably wondering what all the hype is about (and what the heck those round bubbles are in the drink!). Boba tea, also called bubble tea or milk tea, is a drink that originated in Taiwan. The boba pearls are made from tapioca starch combined with a liquid or fruit puree, resulting in a jelly-like texture that bursts in your mouth. The base for boba tea is typically a black or green tea which can be customized with flavored syrups, like strawberry, mango, lychee, etc. Condensed milk and liquid sugar are often added as well.
What is vegan collagen?
So this may come as a surprise, but there’s no such thing as “vegan collagen.” Collagen itself is a complete protein linked to supple, healthy hair, skin, joints, and nails that our bodies synthesize.* Typical collagen supplements come from animal byproducts (think fish scales, egg shells, cow hides and bones).* However, there are plants that help support your body’s natural production of collagen, meaning you don’t need to rely on animals for your collagen boosts! We use herbalist-approved ingredients like amla berry, tremella mushroom, hyaluronic acid, and bamboo extract to support and nourish your hair, skin, nails, and joints.*
In this recipe we opted to make our own tapioca pearls by combining tapioca starch and mashed strawberries, which is really fun and easy if you have a little extra time on your hands. Feel free to sub ready-made tapioca pearls if you want to skip this step.
Vegan Strawberry Boba Tea
- 1 cup strawberries
- 1 tbsp sugar or sweetener of choice - we like coconut sugar or monkfruit
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 cup tapioca starch/flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 scoop Copina Co. Original Plant-Based Collagen Boost
- Combine half a cup of strawberries with sweetener and water, microwave, and mash together
- Add tapioca starch a spoonful at a time until combined and not sticky
- Roll into small tapioca pearls and use excess tapioca starch to coat
- Boil pearls for 20 minutes or until desired consistency
- Combine with milk or tea of choice and mix in Copina Co. Original Plant-Based Collagen Boost