This insanely delicious and insanely easy weeknight-friendly meal is totally vegan, gluten-free, and easy to toss together in a snap. It’s a Vegan Spiced Cauliflower and Lentil Soup and it’s my new obsession. The soup is almost like a stew. but still feels light with the cauliflower in there. The spices go beautifully with the cauliflower and the lentils which pack the recipe with protein.
I love topping this with extra plant-based yogurt, mint and roasted chickpeas. Sounds weird, but trust me - it’s so good!
Vegan Spiced Cauliflower & Lentil Soup
- 3 tablespoons organic olive oil
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 large yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 1/4 cup dried red lentils
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 cup orange juice or juice of 1 fresh orange
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- ground pepper to taste
- a handful of roasted chickpeas
- a few spoonfuls of plant yogurt
- a few sprigs of fresh mint leaves, torn roughly in hands
How to cook Vegan Spiced Cauliflower & Lentil Soup
- Take a medium pot and heat the oil over medium. Add the carrot, onions, garlic , ginger, and cauliflower and saute until the veggies begin to soften (about 5 minutes). Add the lentils, tomato paste, spices, and orange juice. Stir and cook for a few minutes. Add 4 1/2 cups of water and the salt and pepper. Stir, bring to a boil, then simmer for about 20 minutes or until the lentils are cooked and the veggies are tender. Top with extra olive oil and the plant yogurt, chickpeas, and mint!